When keeping your family safe and free from disease causing bacteria and viruses, what is the one thing you should prioritize? Your water filtration system of course!
Have you ever heard someone say that water is life? If you did, then you have to remember that this is indeed a fact. Water gives us life and without it, we wouldn’t even exist. In fact, if water didn't exist on this planet, it would be a dead planet where no organisms will be able to live. Water is very important in our life, which is why you need to know about water filters.
First of all, with all the pollution that we have on our planet today, we continue to decrease the number of sources for clean water. We may have water treatment plants but it is simply not enough to give everyone clean water.
The best water filter will be able to clean the water you and your loved ones consume daily. You'll be surprised to know that there are a ton of water filtration systems that aren't only for your plumbing system or water dispenser, the best systems also are transportable, great for your RV while traveling! But we'll get right on that in the next sections to come.
If you're looking for the best water filter, then click here to view our top choice! Also, read on as I show you all the water filter reviews which will help you make an informed decision and pick one which is suitable for your needs.
How Do Water Filters Work?
While you are at home or out traveling, you will be consuming water. You might not have known that even if the water looks clear and transparent, it doesn't mean it's actually clean and free from all kinds of bacteria and viruses which aren't visible to our eye!
Not only would the water you take in still have tiny particles swimming around, but chances are you consume hard water which comes with an unpleasant taste.
And did you know that drinking contaminated water can lead to a number of conditions and uncomfortable symptoms, such as nausea, diarrhea, fatigue, or even dysentery and cholera? That's why it's vital to consume and utilize CLEAN and FILTERED water!
This is where water filters come to good use. Through various methods, a water filter would help completely free your water from bacteria or sediments that would harm your body. As a result, you get clean water to drink or wash with, leading to a healthier body and cleaner clothes or dishes!
Types of Filtration Systems According to How It Filters Water
Your filter system doesn't come in only one type. There are different types of filters with distinct advantages.
To get a grasp on how to choose an effective water filter suitable for you, here are the different types according to HOW they purify your water:
Activated Carbon Filters
These carbon filters remove large particles from your water. It attracts and absorbs these particles so they won't come out from your faucet or dispenser.
It lessens the odor and enhances the flavor, as it also reduces chlorine and contaminants that would affect the way your water smells or tastes.
This is one of the more popular type (which we will be reviewing in a bit!). It's well-known for removing any and ALL contaminants that would affect your health. Plus, it ensures clear and odor-free water.
Alkaline or Water Ionizers
These type of water filters employ a process called electrolysis. It contains electrically charged plates, which would help lower down your water's acidity. It's not only beneficial for consumption, but for your skin's condition as well.
UV Filters are one of the newest types of filtration systems out there, using advanced technology (namely, ultraviolet radiation). It treats water and destroys bacteria in an environmentally-friendly way. It doesn't use chemicals at all!
Similar to alkaline filters, it helps soften your water while cleansing it from micro-organisms. It uses infrared rays (heat and light) to make your water softer. And soft water is beneficial for consumption and washing!
How to Purchase the Best Water Filters
First off, you will see that there are quite a lot of water filters available for sale in the market today. Manufactured by different companies, you will surely be confused as to what you should purchase. Each one of them will claim to be the best.
So, how can you really tell which one you should get and how can you tell which one is the best and can really provide you with value for your money?
Well, this is exactly where the product reviews and comparisons come into play. Before you purchase a water filter, be sure that you read product reviews of a particular filter before you plan on purchasing. By doing so, you will be able to know which one will be able to provide you with the best way to filter and soften water and also give you refreshing clean water to drink.
When purchasing the ideal water filter, you shouldn't only take account for the way it filters water. You should also learn about the types of filtration systems that work for different areas of your house. Or even something that works when traveling or outdoor use.
Another aspect to consider would be the brand name. Always go for reputable companies with actual customer reviews to ensure that what you're purchasing is legit and effective.
Fortunately, all our reviews on water filters come from real customers who have tried these products themselves!
And while price is a great matter, you should also make sure that you don't scrimp to avoid the hassle of returning a faulty one.
Also, don't overspend on a water filter with features you can get from an averagely-priced one. Set a reasonable budget and price range and get an affordable water filter suitable for you.
Our Top Choice: The Aquasana 5-Year, 500,000 Gallon Well Water Whole House Filter with Water Conditioner
Before we move on to the next part of this guide and to the reviews of filtration systems, we would like to first mention our TOP choice. The one we would recommend most in terms of the testing, rating from our research and overall consumer reviews.
We chose a whole house water system because it has the most benefits for large household who want to utilize and consume the best filtered water without the hassle of having to constantly use only ONE particular faucet for clean water.
Also, we chose Aquasana because of its reputable and trusted brand name many legitimate customers have raved about.
So let us show you all about this Whole House Filter from Aquasana. We have separated our review into sections for you to fully weigh its pros and cons and see why we chose it as our top water filter to date.
We first study its design. While the water filter itself isn't the most sleek or modern of bodies, it has the adequate size to fit into many types of plumbing systems. And anyway, we aren't here for a luxurious design, but for its construction and performance.
There are two main blue canisters that contain the filtration kit and conditioner. The canisters are made out of strong and durable material, known to withstand for many years without signs of damage and rust (as long as you place it in a safe area).
Installation and Set Up
The shipping and transaction is fairly easy, as Aquasana is also known for satisfactory customer service. It comes with an installation kit with plastic fittings (but without the tubing, which you can buy separately). Depending on the plumbing system, you can use your own fittings.
Installation can take a bit of time. It's best if you hire a professional if you aren't familiar with how to set up a water filter system. But if you know what you're doing, then you can do it yourself with its installation kit and instructions included.
Performance and Water Quality
The most important part of the review would be how the water filters perform. And we can say that with its latest technology in killing contaminants and reducing chlorine, it does a great job in filtering water without the need for electricity or drainage.
While the water isn't THAT silky soft, it does the job in killing off all contaminants and bacteria, as well as improving the air indoors.
Repair and Maintenance or Replacement
As for maintenance and repair you won't need to worry about having to constantly checking up on it. Like what we mentioned, it's made out of the durable material built to last, providing up to five years (ten if you buy 1,000,000 Gallon variant) of filtered water.
One con about this may be because it's a bit difficult to replace the filters. We mean that you will need to regularly replace it because of the many features and purposes the filter has to offer.
The water filter itself comes in an almost complete package. It comes with the filter, a conditioner, UV filtration kit, and the professional installation kit. You even have the choice to have it professionally installed. The one thing it doesn't have would be the PEX tubing, which you can purchase individually.
It comes in various packages too, ranging from its lifespan, capacity, and the features you may (or may not) need.
As for its price, it's quite expensive for a whole house water filter system. But as expensive as you might think it to be at first, its many advanced features and amazing performance makes it worth the investment.
Since the filters are known to last for years without the need to constantly look after it (except upon replacement of filters), you won't need to worry about your water quality in the long run.
- VERY durable and known to last for many years (depending on the variant you pick and water usage)
- Excellent customer service and reputable brand name to trust
- HUGE difference in water quality- No unpleasant taste and odor
- Proven to have lowered
downpH levels and contaminants
- Includes a water conditioner system
- Large capacity of half a million gallons (a variant for one million gallons is also available)
- Filters quickly and efficiently
- The plastic fittings aren't sturdy compared to the overall design of this filter. We suggest getting replacement fittings
- It might be slightly difficult for you to replace filters if you aren't familiar with the process.
- The company warrants it only when it is installed by a professional plumber.
Different Types of Water Filters In Market
Like mentioned above, the first thing you should do when choosing a water filter suitable for you and your loved ones would be the type of filtration system you need. Here are the following water filter reviews of the best products, categorized to where and how to use it:
Best Filtered Water Bottle
Filtered water bottles are ideal for those who are constantly traveling and hiking. If you have been on a long trail before and ran out of water, you might have wanted to drink from the first water source you see. To avoid suffering from the consequences of drinking unfiltered water, a filtered bottle can come in handy.
When adding water into the filtered bottle, it would remove any sediment or bacteria from the water immediately, making it safe to drink. Not only that, but it's compact and easy to carry around when traveling as well. It's a great companion when going out or camping.
1. LifeStraw Go Water Bottle
What's great about the LifeStraw Go is how it comes in various designs suitable for any man or woman. Its hollow fiber membrane filter removes bacteria and sediments WITHOUT the use of chemicals or batteries, making it a healthy choice. It's known to reduce 99.99% of bacteria within minutes.
We recommend the 2-Stage filter, which has an activated carbon filter that would reduce odor and chlorine, making it taste better.
Take note that it's a 23-ounce leak-proof bottle made out of BPA-free Tritan material. It doesn't only look good, but it's as strong as you need it to be when traveling around the world!
No matter where you are, this water bottle will be able to save you and efficiently give you the filtered water you need.
- Easy to fill water with
- Very durable
- Leak-proof but easy to open cap
- Many designs to choose from
- No aftertaste or odor
- Not for everyday use
- Difficult to suck water through straw
2. GRAYL Ultralight Water Purifier Bottle
What we truly appreciate about the GRAYL water bottle is how simple and cool the design is. It's extremely lightweight and easy to use for filtration.
All it takes is one press to purify and filter the water, no matter where it came from. It doesn't use any form of chemicals and batteries, so you can filter your water anytime and anywhere.
It removes pathogens and viruses that are deemed harmful for your system. Plus, it only takes a minute to filter up to two liters of water. The bottle can last for a long period of time and can remove almost all forms of bacteria, leaving no odor or taste.
With its effective filtration, it's definitely something we would recommend when out of town and always traveling!
- Only takes a minute to filter
- Lightweight and durable body
- Simple but cute design
- Takes push of a filter for a clean drinking water
- No aftertaste or odor
- Need to put a considerable amount of pressure when pressing the filter
- Difficult to separate the inner compartment for cleaning.
- The water trapped at the bottom adds to the weight of this bottle.
3. Seychelle Water Bottle With Filtration System
Seychelle offers a filtered water bottle that helps remove bacteria, radio-logical and nuclear contaminants that harm your body. It has a very simple design that can take in 28 ounces (approx 800 ml) of water. It only takes less than a minute to filter, getting rid of any dirt or contaminants no matter where you are.
It has a lightweight body made out of FDA-approved polyethylene, BPA-free and leak-proof. It's also very easy to use and drink. You just need to remove the sticker at the bottom, give it a nice squeeze and sip the filtered water as it comes through the straw. Plus, it comes at an affordable price well worth the features it comes with.
Although, I believe they could have done better with the design aspect of this bottle since the current design isn't appealing at all.
All in all, I believe this bottle is suitable to prepare for disasters or for emergency and survival.
- Ideal for camping, hunting and sports.
- Made out of BPA-Free materials
- Filters water in less than a minute
- I am not a big fan of its design
- Leaves a bit of an aftertaste- slightly salty water
- It might be a bit confusing to use at first
Best Pitcher Water Filter
Let's be honest, we all love chilled water and it feels like a Godsent in summer.
To have cold, filtered water, you can use a pitcher filter. Not only is it easy to use, but it's also more affordable compared to getting a whole filtration system.
It's ideal during dinners where you want clean water on the table immediately, or for those who prefer cold water from the fridge. It automatically filters the water and allows it to stay clean, despite it sitting in the fridge for long periods of time.
Here are our top three choices:
1. Aquagear Water Filter Pitcher
Aquagear offers a water filter pitcher that can purify your water from fluoride, lead, chloramine, chromium, and other types of harmful chemicals that other filters might overlook. It makes sure that it removes all harmful contaminants while still preserving healthy ones such as calcium and magnesium.
What's great about this pitcher is that it has TRIPLE capacity filters that can produce up to 150 gallons of water, which is up to four times more durable than any other pitchers. You get to save a lot of money that way! It's made for durability and sustainability, keeping you and your family healthy.
Made out of BPA-free and durable materials, you can actually feel the difference in the water you drink after being filtered through this pitcher.
With a clear design and quality USA-made body, you are assured a pitcher of clean water for a very long time. Also the filters are recyclable.
- There's a visible difference in the taste of water
- Tested to remove 90% of Fluoride. A must for municipal tap water users.
- Easy to setup and use
- Water remains crystal clear while in the pitcher
- It would help if it had an indicator for filter replacement
- The plastic flap at the pour spout sometimes gets stuck making the water pour through the little gaps
2. Invigorated Living pH RESTORE Alkaline Water Pitcher
We really love how this pitcher comes in a thinner body so it will be able to fit into the side shelves of any fridge. The pitcher itself has a clear and clean design making it easy to track how much water is left and its process when filtering water.
The filtration system itself has a multi-stage process to remove all types of particles and harmful chemicals found in water in order to make it safe to consume. It not only purifies, but also removes traces of chlorine and heavy chemicals.
You can expect around 250 gallons of purified water per filter. The pH levels are influenced by the water in your locality.
You can get the water straight from the faucet and the pitcher can easily filter it within hours. And since it comes in a durable body and two lifelong filters, you're assured a water pitcher to last for a long period of time.
- Easy to refill the pitcher, thanks to the flap on the lid.
- It also filters fluoride.
- Removes any free radicals, chemicals and toxins quickly
- Strong and durable body which doesn't take up a lot of space.
- Some of the customers have noticed a weird grey buildup at the bottom after a few months of usage.
- The filter becomes clogged sometimes which requires its removal and a bit of shaking and knocking to unclog it.
3. PUR 18-Cup Water Filtration Dispenser
If you're looking for something similar to a pitcher you can add to your fridge or as a standalone to produce a great amount of water, then PUR water filtration dispenser is the ideal choice.
This water dispenser can take almost five liters of water, with one filter providing forty gallons of crystal water safe for consuming. That's about two months worth of water for a substantially-sized household.
What's nice about the design is that not only can you easily get water because of its dispensing body, but it can optimize fridge space while still being lightweight and easy to refill.
Its performance is excellent, as it removes up to 96% of Mercury and other pollutants while keeping it odor-free with no aftertaste. All in all, it's a great buy for those who want chilled water in a dispenser design.
- Practical dispenser-style body for fridge use
- Lightweight and easy to carry for refilling
- Holds about five liters of clean water
- Removes pollutants efficiently
- The water tastes way better when we compared it with another filter
- Not necessarily a con, but you should ensure that you have enough space in your fridge because this is bigger than a traditional pitcher filter.
- The bottom of this dispenser could have been made as a slope instead of being completely flat which causes some water to be trapped at the bottom.
Best Whole House Water Filter
For large households and people who want their entire home to have filtered water to be assured of clean drinking and washing water all around, then a whole house filter is an excellent choice.
A whole house filter will provide clean filtered water in EVERY faucet or shower, making it better for those who want assurance of filtered water all throughout their household. It saves the hassle of only using individual faucets when getting filtered water.
While it might be a bit difficult to setup (and expensive!), it's an ideal solution for large households and for those who want to save time and effort getting clean water when at home.
Here are our three whole house water filter reviews you can check out:
1. Aquasana 6-Year, 600,000 Gallon Whole House Water Filter
If you need a long-term solution to hard water with slight contaminants and chemicals, then Aquasana offers one of the top-of-the-line water filters to last for years to come.
This compact whole house water filter will be able to fix your home's water system, ensuring clean and great-tasting water WITHOUT the need for electricity or back flushing. It can remove up to 97% of chlorine and comes with multiple filtration stages to properly reduce all chemicals, from the faucets to the shower steam.
Sure, it comes at a slightly more expensive price as compared to other types of whole home water filtration systems. But with its many features and efficient performance, we think it's well worth the price. With its long-term durability and warranty, it's a sound investment.
- Water tastes great without any aftertaste or odor
- Reduces chemicals in shower steam
- You will notice a visible difference with your skin and hair after a shower
- Lasts for six years with warranty
- Removes pollutants efficiently
- You might see a reduction in water pressure
- Filters need to be replaced in three to four months or less depending on the hardness of the water.
- The plastic fittings are not durable. I suggest you get brass fittings instead.
2. 3M Aqua-Pure Whole House Water Filtration System
This whole house filtration system is made out of non-corrosive stainless steel, making it very sturdy to use for years to come. It has a carbon filter so it would not only get rid of bacteria, but to also remove chlorine, making your water taste and smell better.
It's easy to install and with the appropriate flow rate of twenty gallons per minute. Plus, you can easily replace its cartridges by twisting it off and adding in a new one. No need for extra tools, help, or making contact with the filter itself.
We highly suggest you use a sediment filter in front of it so you don't clog this filter with large particles.
The filter tube is simply designed but packs a punch, providing high-quality water without the hefty price tag. At such an affordable price for a whole house water filter, I can say it's an investment worth making. We would recommend this if you want a whole house filtration system on a budget
- Reduces odor and smell from water
- The installation process is straightforward
- Can last for up to two years for a household of four
- Gets rid of chlorine smell from your shower water for good
- Removes pollutants efficiently
- It needs a pre-filter in order to avoid clogging and loss of water pressure.
- Replacement filters are kinda expensive compared to the overall rate of the system.
3. iSpring WGB32B 3-Stage Whole House Water Filtration System
iSpring offers two types of filtration: Fine Sediment and Carbon, or Iron and Manganese Removal. This review focuses more on the former.
It comes with three filter cartridges to allow minimal pressure reduction. Plus, it has an even longer filter life that way. It can help with producing water supply for your WHOLE home without hassle. It can remove 95% of all types of bacteria hand harmful chemicals, leaving your home's water supply clean and ready to use anytime.
It can produce as much as 15 gallons per minute, so it's great for slightly large households. The cartridges itself can hold up well, so you can install them anywhere around your home with ease and without the worry of it deteriorating or getting damaged easily. Plus, it has a 100,000 gallon capacity, deal for a WHOLE year of clean water for a family of four (or even more!).
The installation is kinda daunting and it may take a few hours if you are not familiar with the ins and outs. I highly suggest you get this done by a professional.
- Great tasting water with no smell of any kind
- The replacement filters are affordable
- Can last for up to two years for a household of four
- The sturdy build is lovely
- Removes pollutants efficiently
- You need to have a basic plumbing knowledge and right set of tools if you want to get this installed on your own.
- This product is large, so make sure you have enough room to accommodate it before making a purchase.
- The blue filters might leak sometimes. So we suggest you put something on the rubber seal to lube them up.
Best Under Sink Water Filter
An under sink water system is similar to a water faucet system, though they are installed under the sink for discretion. Just like how the name implies, you install it under the sink, usually inside counter cabinets. It will help filter out bathroom or kitchen faucet water without any hassles.
This type of water filtration system is ideal for those who want to save up on space and have their kitchen (or bathrooms) look better by installing the water system underneath for no one to see or bump into. Plus, these under sink water filters are easy to install and maintain if ever you'll need to adjust it.
Read on to find our top three under sink water filter reviews:
1. Aquasana AQ-5300.55 5-Stage Under Sink Water Filter System
Aquasana is one of the top leading brands of water filtration systems, with quality products built with equally durable material. Their under sink water filter system offers excellent performance and comes with a metal faucet as well. You can choose between three different faucets with or without expert installation.
While you'll be able to do the installation yourself, it's better to have an expert do it, or to have knowledge in plumbing prior to the installation.
Once installed, you'll be able to enjoy up to 600 gallons of water per filter. It removes up to 99% of contaminants, making your water taste and feel better. Plus, at a reasonable price, it's worth checking out!
- It effectively gets rid of chloramines.
- Clean, filtered water at an affordable price.
- The filters are easy to change.
- No odor or aftertaste in the filtered water.
- Easy to install if you have basic plumbing knowledge
- The filters do beep when its time for a replacement, but this is based on time, not on actual usage. So its better to keep a log.
- We noticed that this is slow filling. So it will take a few seconds to completely fill a glass of water when compared to a tap.
- No replacement O-rings available from the company.
2. APEC WFS-1000 Super Capacity Premium Quality 3-Stage Under Sink Water Filter System
What's great about this water filter system is how it comes with a sleek white body with three canisters to last for a long period of time. APEC offers one of the supreme quality filter systems to help remove three of the major issues unfiltered water has: Chemicals, taste, and bad odor.
The package also comes with a lead-free Chrome faucet to install on your kitchen countertop, along with the safe and quality tubing for installation.
It's very easy to install as long as you follow the instructions well. Just make sure to let the water flow before using it, as it may look cloudy at first. But besides that, it has excellent features that make it a good purchase.
- Very easy to setup and install.
- Water tastes good and the pressure is great.
- The filters are easy to replace and last easily for an year.
- Build quality is good. The faucet supplied feels premium.
- Easy to install if you have basic plumbing knowledge
- You might want to get another faucet if you have a stainless steel kitchen sink because the supplied faucet is 100% lead-free Chrome and doesn't look good on stainless steel sink.
- Doesn't get rid of sodium
- It has the same type of filters in stages 2 and 3. They could have used another type of filter in stage 3.
3. CuZn UC-200 Under Counter Water Filter
The one thing I want to feature about the CuZn Under Counter Water Filter is how it can last for a long period of time. It has a 500,000 gallon capacity, which should be good for up to five years for adequately-sized families.
It has the essential three-stage system to fully get rid of ALL chemicals and contaminants, giving clean water without compromising the taste.
Another plus is how it's very easy to install without the need for a third faucet. It would only take about half an hour as long as you have the adjustable wrench and follow the instructions.
It's a bit more expensive than the other under sink water filters I reviewed, but it's well worth the price for those who prefer a water system which is easy to install and efficient in filtering water. Plus, with just ONE canister, it has a fairly large capacity!
The only deterrent is the look and design of this filter which certainly isn't appealing and won't go well if you have other "premium" stuffs in your kitchen.
- The installation process is very easy.
- The flow rate is good.
- Working flawlessly since the last two years of our use.
- It's durable and easy to maintain.
- No leaks noticed so far.
- Its fairly heavy for its size
- Doesn't score well in the design department. But can be ignored since it is meant to be installed under the sink.
Best Countertop Water Filter
While we have the under sink water filter, a countertop water filter is installed on top of counters and usually beside the faucet itself. These are best suited for those who want something simple to install and maintain. Just like effective water filtration systems, as longs you choose the right one, you'll be able to have filtered water without the problems.
What's great about countertop water filters is that it's less expensive than other types of water filters for faucets and you can easily access it for adjusting or repairing when needed. BUT, you might bump into it easily and it doesn't look very sleek if you're keen on your kitchen's design.
1. Big Berkey BK4X2 Countertop Water Filter System
Big Berkey offers a stainless steel housing, so it looks excellent when displayed. It's different from the other types of water filters because of its unique design. It comes with two filter elements that can each last for 3,000 gallons, so about a month of filtered and purified water.
The system can hold up to 2.25 gallons of water, making it a great option for small to medium households. It's versatile and meant for either beside your faucet or when traveling out in your RV and in need of purified water.
It might be a bit on the expensive side, but with its performance, versatility and stainless steel design, it deserves a spot in our list of the best countertop water filter systems.
Remember to prime your fluoride filters at least for 90 seconds for 3 to 4 times if you are using this filter system for the first time.
- The quality of water you get is excellent.
- Fits almost any type of faucet
- The setup takes less than a minute.
- Does a great job reducing Arsenic and Aluminium from the water.
- Make sure you tighten the internal nut well if you would like to avoid a wet floor.
- It is a little expensive for the parts that go into it.
2. APEC Portable Countertop Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
This water filter's one significant feature is how you won't need to take up time or effort to install. It can fit almost all types of faucets and all you need to do is plug both faucet and filter together to enjoy better quality water.
While the body might be a bit bulky, it's still easy to transport. You can travel with it to use on any other faucets outside your home, or different faucets and showers inside different rooms of your house. We recommend you get it with the outer casing which makes it look great,
We highly recommend this water filter for day scholars and travelers or those who are constantly on-the-go and prefer not to permanently install their water filters.
- Its portable nature makes it ideal for travelers or motorhomes
- Fits almost any type of faucet
- The setup takes less than a minute.
- The water tastes excellent.
- The amount of brine water is pretty high. You probably want to collect it in a bucket and use it for watering plants.
- The flow rate is satisfactory. Neither fast, nor noticeably slow.
3. APEX Countertop Drinking Water Filter
This filter from APEX comes in a cool design that makes it look great on kitchen sinks. This is suitable for almost any type of faucet, with a slim and portable design that focuses on durability and performance.
Once you have it installed (which is really easy), it starts to filter out your water efficiently, removing contaminants while preserving minerals your body needs. It has a replacement cartridge for it to last a long time.
The price is affordable for a filter system that has a 1,500 gallon capacity, making it a nice investment for those who are on a budget.
Please make sure that your faucet is the standard size (better consult the manual) before your purchase this filter.
- This is a low maintenance and inexpensive filter.
- Its highly compact and doesn't take up a lot of space on your sink.
- Gets rid of the smell effectively.
- Installation is a piece of cake.
- The rubber gasket may run a bit short depending on your faucet.
- You cannot run hot water through it.
- It won't work with a pull out faucet.
- Doesn't remove fluoride.
Best Faucet Water Filter
A faucet water filter doesn't come in tubes or containers as compared to under sink or countertop water filters. Instead, it's a small device you install on the faucet nozzle itself for it to stream out filtered water with ease.
What makes a faucet filter very beneficial is the fact that it's very small and lightweight. It also won't be such as hassle to install into your plumbing system, since you will only be adding it onto the faucet. Plus, it looks discreet and saves a lot of space. No need to hassle yourself in repair and maintenance!
Check these faucet water filter reviews to choose wisely:
1. PUR 3-Stage Horizontal Water Filtration Faucet
The first thing you notice about this faucet filtration system is its sleek chrome design. You can choose between five different designs.
It has a modern body, making it match your kitchen sink without the bulkiness. The three-stage filter makes sure to purify your water and get rid of as much contaminants as possible.
The filter comes with a life indicator to keep track of how much water was used and how long the filter can last for. It can provide up to 100 gallons, or about two to three months of clean water. We have been using it since the last three years and we haven't noticed any issues of leakage or filter displacement.
You just need to watch the on/off switch while doing dishes because you might accidentally trigger it.
If you are ordering one, then please make sure you get a metal aerator instead of the default plastic aerator. You can easily contact the manufacturers and get a replacement aerator for free if you don't already have a metal aerator out of the box.
- Offers two to three months of clean water supply
- Has a life indicator and on/off switch. Makes it easy to switch from filtered to non filtered water.
- It is durable and long lasting.
- Installation is easy, provided you follow the instructions.
- We feel the water flow is somewhat restricted in our unit. But it is supposedly fixed in the newer units.
- The plastic aerator which was originally supplied is a big deterrent. Make sure you replace it with the new metal aerator if you have or get the old one delivered by mistake.
- The grip has a room for improvement.
2. Culligan FM-25 Faucet Mount Filter with Advanced Water Filtration
Another sleekly designed faucet filter, Culligan has a compact design with a plotted chrome finish that makes it easy to install and use. You won't need any sophisticated tools to set it up. Simply pull the diverter tab (the small chrome switch) to enjoy filtered water!
Once your water is filtered, you'll notice a better taste and without any odor. It's said to soften water as well. At an affordable price and with a two year warranty, I would recommend this for anyone on a budget and want a good-looking faucet water filter.
Similar to the PUR faucet filter above, this one also has a trigger for the filtration process, but the uniqueness lies in its auto-off functionality. The diverter tab automatically retracts to its original position when you close the tab.
This product lacks an indicator for filter replacement, but its not that hard to figure out. Overtime, you can easily tell when the filter needs replacement taking the flow rate of filtered water in account. If it takes more than 10 seconds for 8 oz, then it's time for a replacement filter.
- It's really easy to install. You can enjoy filtered water in less than 5 minutes.
- It improves the flavor and eliminates any chlorine odor from water.
- The diverter tab retracts automatically once the tap is turned off.
- Replacement filters are affordable.
- The water pressure isn't that great, but for the price, this deserves to be in our list.
- You cannot run hot water through this filter.
3. Kabter Healthy Faucet Water Filter System
Kabter has a very unique design that shoots out jet streams of filtered water, making it ideal for washing vegetables and dishes. You can also use it for the bathroom, saving up on space with its compact design.
It cleans water through activated carbon, eliminating the amount of contaminants and bacteria. It can also reduce chlorine, making your water taste and smell better. The body itself is made out of sturdy material that does not leak. It also has a convenient design that cleans water with just flipping its switch.
We just love the water pressure this filter provides. You can also run hot water (up to 170 degrees Fahrenheit) through this filter.
Installation might be a little difficult for those without any prior plumbing knowledge. It's best to take help from a handyman. Make sure you determine the size of your faucet or take help from the manufacturers if you aren't sure.
- The water flow rate is lovely. Best in its class.
- It helps reduce chlorine and greatly improves the taste of your water.
- The diverter tab retracts automatically once the tap is turned off.
- Filters easily last for 3 to 4 months and replacements are inexpensive.
- Kabter is a fairly new brand in the market without proper online presence. This might deter a few buyers.
Best Shower Water Filter
The great thing about filtered water isn't just about the health benefits when drinking it. It's also about when washing your body! Using clean and filtered water will give you the smooth and healthy skin and hair you deserve. That's why a shower water filter is also another ideal choice for those who want clean water in individual bathrooms or showers.
Similar to under sink or countertop water filters, you will need to install it into your shower's plumbing system. While it might be a bit of a hassle to install and find space for it, it's very beneficial in keeping your overall skin and hair in great health!
1. Aquasana AQ-4105CHR Shower Filter with Chrome Wand
This shower filter has a dual-stage filtration with a up-flow filtration design to have a faster flow rate. The difference in the flow rate before and after installation is negligible. It reduces the contaminant content of water up to 90%, as well as enhancing its pH balance.
It's very easy to setup and saves you money from installation. It's durable and made to last for a long time, eliminating excessive chlorine and smell in your shower water.
Right from the installation, you should see a visible difference in water quality and your shower experience.
The filter kinda looks bulky though, but does a great job.
- The water pressure is great for a comfortable shower.
- Filter easily lasts for 5 to 6 months for a family of four.
- Visible difference in quality of your shower.
- Easy to setup, even for those without any prior plumbing knowledge.
- You might have issues tilting the shower head because of the filter.
- It might leak during installation.
- You cannot use a shower head or wand with a shut-off valve.
2. Pelican Water PSF-1W 3-Stage Premium Shower Filter
This shower filter comes with a 5-foot tangle-free massaging shower wand (variants without wand and shower head are also available) so you can reach all places around your body and have a refreshing shower every time.
It's very easy to setup with its quick-connect feature.
As for its performance, it can reduce chloramines, any form of odor and filter out the harmful micro organisms in your shower, softening water for an even more pleasant experience. Its filters have a 15,000 gallon capacity that can last for a long time.
With durability and an all-white modern design, it's worth the investment.
- Installation is easy and should take less than 20 minutes.
- Adjustable water pressure setting which will be helpful if you are bathing children or pets.
- The scent from the filtered water feels like a spa.
- Also helps in softening the shower water and avoiding scales.
- Might leak if you use a shower head other than Pelican's.
- The performance might drop if you have low water pressure.
- The wand hose is somewhat stiff. It would be better if it was a bit flexible.
3. WaterChef SF-7C Premium Shower Filter System
What we appreciate about this shower filtration system is its polished chrome design constructed which makes your bathroom look luxurious. It's made out of very durable material and comes in a complete package- including a shower wand that's easy to adjust.
Its 2-stage filtration system gives you an excellent water flow and quality without the hassle of constantly replacing its filters or the shower head itself. Many customers have raved about their skin and hair health improving within weeks of using this system.
The filter easily lasts for 5 to 6 months for a family of four. The installation process is straightforward and you shouldn't feel any significant drop in water pressure after installation.
It eliminates chemical odor from water and helps you have an awesome showering experience.
- It looks stylish and feels premium.
- Installation process is easy.
- 5 adjustable spray patterns for your various shower needs.
- No significant change in water pressure.
- Filter lasts long and replacements are reasonably priced.
- Avoid dropping it or else you might risk cracking it.
- The joint between the hose and head is metal but the peg that it sits in is plastic.
- Might give out slightly grey water when it's first turned on.
Best Reverse Osmosis Water Filter
Like what I mentioned above, a reverse osmosis water filter uses the latest technology in order to not only reduce the bacteria in water, but to soften it as well.
Reverse osmosis water filters are ideal for those who suffer from hard water around their area, making it difficult to consume, wash their body and other household items. Plus, it enhances its texture and flavor when drinking, making it a healthier choice.
It saves you a lot of money in the long run from purchasing bottled water or having a higher risk of getting infected or ruining your washed clothes or utensils with hard water.
Although reverse osmosis filter systems are a great way to purify water, the amount of water which is sent down the drain (referred to as reject or waste water) might be deterring. Most of these systems follow the 1:3 ratio which means for every one gallon of pure water, there's three gallons of waste water.
These reverse osmosis water filter reviews will help you choose what you need for your home:
1. APEC Top Tier 5-Stage Ultra Safe Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
APEC manufactures great water filter systems, with the reverse osmosis version being no exception. It is made in USA with quality materials and advanced technology to properly remove 99% of contaminants and heavy chemicals from your drinking water.
The system is very efficient as well. It lasts for a long period of time and filters water without the noise or trouble of maintenance. It's reasonably priced and for those who need a purifier without breaking the bank.
One of our friends bought a TDS (Total Dissolved Solids) tester to test the quality of water before and after the filtration process and here are the results:
Water from the tap: 465-536 PPM
Water from this filter after flushing twice: 19 PPM
The installation process is a bit complex. So we suggest you to hire a professional if you aren't familiar with the basics of plumbing.
- Its highly efficient and best in its class.
- The included faucet works better than it looks.
- The water tastes great.
- Great flow rate.
- The replacement filters are reasonably priced.
- There's 3 gallons of waste water for every gallon of pure filtered water.
- The installation process is complex. You might need a handyman to get this system up and running.
- The unit is a bit heavy.
2. iSpring RCC7 5-Stage Reverse Osmosis Drinking Water Filter System
This reverse osmosis filter system isn't just great for reducing contaminants and chlorine content, but it can also reduce water consumption as well. It helps save money on water bills and constantly purchase water bottles. Plus, it can filter over thousand of water pollutants with its thin-film composite membrane (down to 0.0001 micron)
It comes with a money back guarantee and certified Gold Seal for quality water, making it a reasonable investment.
For a RO filter, this is surprisingly quite. The supplied faucet looks premium.
One of our friends in Vegas shared his TDS results after using this RO system. Here they are:
Water from the tap: 500 PPM
Water from this system: 25 PPM
Installation isn't exactly a piece of cake, but you should be able to do it provided you have the tools and basic knowledge of plumbing. We suggest you to flush the tank twice even though the instructions say it needs to be done only once.
The manufacturers were kind to supply some extra parts within the box, which is helpful if you are doing the installation by yourself and crack a part in the process.
- Quieter than other RO systems in the market.
- The supplied faucet looks premium and complements our sink.
- This is certified by WQA (Water Quality Association)
- No odor or discoloration.
- Durable and built to last for years.
- Installation process isn't easy.
- The reject to purified water ratio is a bit higher.
- May leak if the water pressure is high. We suggest you get a pressure regulator if necessary.
3. Home Master TMAFC Under-sink Reverse Osmosis Water Filter System
Though a bit expensive, you are assured an even better and quality RO system compared to many others in the market. It has an innovative and compact design that not only kills harmful micro organisms, but also enhances the healthy minerals needed for your water with its SEVEN stages of filtration.
The rejected water is about 4 gallons per gallon of purified water. The manufacturers offer a permeate pump upgrade kit that will reduce the reject by up to 80% depending on your conditions (it dropped to 1.5 gallon in our case).
It lasts for a long period of time and it's easy to change the filters, only requiring replacement once a year. With faster flow rate and quality water, you're getting something worth its price.
The design might not be that appealing but it's meant to be installed under-sink and it sure gets the job done efficiently.
- It's highly durable and filters easily last for a year.
- Flow rate is amazing.
- This is certified by WQA (Water Quality Association)
- No odor or discoloration.
- You can reduce the quantity of waste water by a permeate pump upgrade.
- The reject to purified water ratio is high, but can be reduced with the help of permeate pump upgrade kit.
- The looks could have been improved. But again, it's an under-sink RO filtration system.
- A bit pricey compared to other systems.
Best Backpacking Water Filter
A backpacking water filter is an essential gear for those who love to travel and backpack cross foreign places where there is inconsistent supply of clean water. Backpacking water filters are lightweight and compact, making it easy for them to be carried around. Plus, they get you clean filtered water no matter where you get it from.
These portable water filters are ideal for those who want a clean water source wherever they go, no matter the time or area. Just make sure that the places you go to have water unhand!
As there is no one best camping water filter ideal for everyone, here are our top three picks:
1. Katadyn Pocket Water Filter
Katadyn offers a pocket water filter that's small and can easily fit into your travel bagpack. The filter's made out of ceramic element to sterilize your water from bacteria and protozoa. It's also very easy to use with a round pump handle.
It has the sturdy construction to last for ANY type of travel, ideal for backpackers or emergencies.
It might look a bit pricey at first, but it is highly durable and the ceramic filter easily lasts for 13000 gallons which is indeed a value for money and justifies the price tag.
This filter is only intended for fresh water. Please do not use it with salt water. You can use a desalinator for that.
If you have access to fire near your camp site, then we recommend you to give the filtered water a quick boil and store it.
- It's highly durable and a much longer life span.
- Flow rate is great.
- The process of filtration is easy.
- Great for survival.
- Comes with a 20 year warranty.
- It is a bit heavy.
- The taste of filtered water isn't that great.
- A bit pricey compared to other systems.
2. LifeStraw Mission High-Volume Gravity-Fed Water Purifier
LifeStraw is known for their water survival kits, with this water purifier being one of the well known and popular ones. It's ideal for those camping or traveling in groups, as it has a filtration capacity of almost 4,500 gallons with 12 liter sizes.
It comes with a roll-bag and requires no chemicals or power to use. All you need to do is pump and let the clean water flow for drinking. it's very affordable for a high-capacity water pump for backpacking and weighs only around a pound (without water).
It filters about 4,500 gallons and should easily last for three to four years for a family of four.
Before you use it for the first time, we highly suggest you rinse the bag a couple of times to thoroughly clean the pre-filter.
The flow rate is a bit slow. We managed to get 5 liters out of it in an hour. This shouldn't be a problem if you plan a little and get the filter to work for at least 4 to 5 bottles even though you don't feel like drinking the water now.
- The filtered water tastes better without any significant odor.
- The water coming out looks clear.
- Reasonably priced for the features if offers.
- Lightweight (less than a pound).
- Ideal for groups of travelers
- Flow rate is slow.
- The carrying bag looks like it might rip.
3. Sawyer's 0.1 Micron Water Filtration System
This filtration system is suitable for those who are backpacking alone or with a smaller group of people. It has a two-liter reservoir made out of sturdy material, easy to maintain and leaves NO chemical taste.
It can produce about 2 liters of filtered water within two minutes, getting rid of most contaminants without the hassle. There's a 4 liter variant available with two bags. It might look simple and lacks appeal but does the job of filtering quickly and efficiently.
Easy to use and at a reasonable price, it's great for traveling and emergencies. You just need to hang it to any elevated object like a tree trunk and let the filter do the rest with help from gravity.
This is suitable for people who don't like to go through pumping chores to get filtered water.
- Great for solo backpackers,
- The filtered water tastes natural.
- Great choice for those who dislike pumping.
- The flow rate is awesome.
- Made to last long.
- Replacement bags aren't available.
- The dirty grey bag is difficult to fill.
When it comes to choosing an effective filtration system to help keep your water clean, you'll be able to find a lot of brand names and models to help you out. But with the abundance of choices, I'm sure you're confused with what's best.
I hope that this guide on the best water filters helped you learn in detail about what you should purchase for your home or travel needs. You can purchase any of these from reputable online stores like Amazon or in local stores near you.
I hope you enjoyed this. If you have any more questions or would like to share your reviews and experiences with these water filters, then comment down below. We would love to hear what you have to think.